Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mind Overload

Dr. Jay Strack

"1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

This verse continually resonated in my mind today as I attended the Leadership Rocks Conference here at Boyce. Many of you know I interned with Dr. Jay at Student Leadership University a few summers ago which was revolutionary for me and truly gave me a passion for leadership. Many of these thoughts and passions were rekindled today as I attended Leadership Rocks. My mind was spinning with thoughts of the future and after graduation, as well as my experience this past summer with Freedom Church and where it all fits in. Obviously no life decisions were made but there were some really great take aways; some principles that I was reminded I need to live by, as well as some personal applications.


Some take aways:
  • "Leadership begins at the feet of Jesus." This is a two-fold take away. Brent Crowe made the former statement and then later at a break-out session Troy Temple taught on the necessity of preparing our own hearts in His word if we desire for God to use us. If we desire to influence others for the sake of the Gospel, it MUST begin with ourselves. This is what MUST drive us; a genuine passion for HIM, for everything else flows from this. I am a person that can get burned out quickly if I am not careful, but if I my passion and drive comes from a longing for Him, then I will never get burned out.
  • I MUST be intentional about everything. There are so many things that I could do on any given day, all of them good things, but what are the things that are going to directly benefit His Kingdom and my future as a part of that on a day to day basis. If I don't think it will, I shouldn't spend time on it. I am not talking about relaxing or down time, or relationships because those can be just as essential and directly connected with it. My point is that if I truly desire for God to use me in unexplainable ways, I cannot waist time. Which leads to another take-away.
  • "A survivor is busy; a conquerer is focused." - Brent Crowe (teaching from Daniel 1:8)- I must "simplify and focus." -Johnny Hunt- Another quote... "Business will distract us from intimacy with God." -also Brent Crowe. I have been busy and I don't like it. I want to be focused. There is a goal to be attained and to reach it, I must be focus and do away with all other distractions. That is were Hebrews 12:1-2 kept running through my mind.
Life is too short to waste time on the non-essential. I want to be used by God in such as way that the results can only be explained by the hand of God. The question is: am I willing to do what it takes; to get out of the way and let God lead and use me to do things that only He can do? Its going to be one wild ride! I can't wait! This is my desire. His will be done.

No comments: