Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pride

"The worst viper that is in the heart,
the greatest disturber of the soul's peace,
the most hidden secret and deceitful of all lusts"
-Jonathan Edwards

This week I have been once again confronted with hideousness of my own pride and sinfulness. What a dreadful thing to be prideful, and what freedom there is in true humility. Edwards also wrote..."The pleasures of humility are really the most refined, inward, and exquisite delights in the world." After recognizing, once again, this disgusting trait of mine, I picked up C.J. Mahaney's book on Humility. I've read it before but in light of my current struggle I thought it would be a good idea to go through it again! It's not a large book and very easy to read but also packed with truth!

The thing about pride is that it makes no logical sense. When a situation is looked at truthfully, there is never a reason for being prideful. C.J. quotes Spurgeon who said that pride is a "groundless thing" and "a brainless thing" and goes on to say..."but despite the sheer folly and unreasonableness of pride, it manifests its stubborn presence in countless ways within all of us."

It is a bitter sweet thing to be confronted, again, with my own folly. I am grateful for its recognition, but sorely need His grace to help me through it! C.J. defines humility in this way...

"Honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness"

No comments: