Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Merry Christmas to me!


So with some of the Birthday/Christmas money I got this past year, I decided to treat myself to a new lens. This is a Canon 50mm f/1.4 prime. This is a fairly inexpensive yet very useful lens. The quality is great minus a little bokeh due to the 8 blade aperture. It is small, light weight and the f/1.4 aperture makes it great for low light, something I have sorely needed in the past. I recently got an opportunity to see the true worth of this lens when shooting some Senior pictures for a friend. You can see some images here(only the Senior pix were taken with the 50mm).

Here is a picture of the bokeh of the 50mm compared to the image below it taken with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens which creates nice rounded circles. The octagon (or whatever shape it is) shaped circles is caused by the 8 blade aperture rather than 10 blades like image below it. You can definitely see the difference, however, you really don't notice it too much in most settings.


It creates a great depth of field, however! All in all...for the price...I am very happy with the lens and think I will get great use out it!

No comments: