Tuesday, October 16, 2007

No.

This is a very difficult word for me to say, but I am learning. I MUST learn! With the pressures of the circus life of juggling many different things all at once, there comes a time when I must realize that I cannot handle anything else and still fulfill my responsibilities with excellence. I am learning the importance of knowing my limits. Everyone's limits are different and I must know my own and abide by them. Sometimes this requires saying no to some really good things for the sake of better things. I must also realize that by saying no to some things, I am really making myself more effective. By saying yes to too many things, I am spreading myself too thin and will do none of the things I am committed to, to the degree of excellence with which they should be done. This also contributes to many other dangers such as stress, fatigue, burnout, and apathy. I must aggressively guard my focus and priorities, if not for the sake of effectiveness and God's glory, for the sake of my own sanity. I don't want to do many things half-heartedly, I want to do a few things whole-heartedly, and at times, this requires saying no.

No comments: