Tuesday, August 5, 2008

-Biographies-

Since my work schedule has been so crazy lately, reading has kind of fallen to the wayside. This is changing however! I really hope to begin taking regular time each week to get away and just read...no computers!

For a while now, I've been wanting to read a good biography and one that was recommended to me was The Legacy of Sovereign Joy by John Piper, covering the lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin. All of these men I have come to respect highly already but and extremely excited to learn more about the lives of these "flawed saints" as Piper says!

Today I was encouraged my some words from Augustine at his conversion concerning the sin he once clung to:

"How sweet all at once it was for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which I had once feared to lose...! You drove them from me, you who are the true, the sovereign joy. You drove them from me and took their place, you who are sweeter than all pleasure...O Lord my God, my Light, my Wealth, and my Salvation!

Why do we seek satisfaction from those things that will never satisfy when we could be fully satisfied by Him who IS ALL satisfying?

No comments: